Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:49:58 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        bduk@earthlink.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports questions

Hi:
Thanks for the reply.

I am trying to get a better handle on how ports functions.  I still don't
quite 'get it.'  If I use pkg_delete, then only that specific package is
deleted?  None of the additional packages that were added as dependencies
will be deleted?  So I have to delete each of these dependent applications
individually?  Does ports keep a list of the dependent applications
somewhere so I know what was installed (and thus, what I would need to
delete)?  If I wanted to delete an application which another application
depends on, would I get a warning/option to discontinue?, or would ports
just rebuild the app the next time I started the xyz port which depends on
the deleted app?

Wouldn't it seem that if ports were really 'smart' that it would have an
associated database that kept track of dependencies so that when a
port/package is deleted it would prompt the user for permission to delete
each of the dependent apps that are not needed by other apps on the system?
This might be only a minor issue for experienced users but it would give
newbies more confidence in using ports.

Where can I find good/comprehensive documentation on ports?

John