Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:11:58 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail: /home/user forward problem

In the last episode (Nov 16), daniel B said:
> I am getting the following error from sendmail:
>
> Sendmail....	forward /home/user/.forward Group Writable Directory
>
> Well; the directory does not exist in the specified location i.e 'ls
> -la' in /home/user shows no .forward file.
>
> Is sendmail complaining it does not exist? if not why is it
> complaining about a group writable directory that does not exist?

It's complaining that /home/user is group writeable, so anyone in that
group can create a .forward file and redirect that user's mail.  If
you set up your system to give each user their own group (and no-one
else is in that group), you can set a flag in your sendmail.cf that
disables the group-write check.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com