Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:03:32 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc, was: Re: Plan to import NetBSD rc system

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 08:59:16PM +0200, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
> Peter Pentchev(roam@orbitel.bg)@2001.06.14 20:19:27 +0000:
> > OK, and what do I do if I want to manually start/stop the service later,
> > and it needs variables defined in /etc/rc.conf{,local} ?
>
> if [ x${_RC_CONF} != x1 ]; then . /etc/rc.conf; fi
>
> in the beginning of the local startup script?
> if it really requires it, it could plainly source it in the beginning,
> or selectively using the above if statement when /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> would do _RC_CONF=1; export _RC_CONF
>
> that's not a very good idea, but it would - at least - fix the behaviour
> to be the right way. please read on...

Not really; it's a great start, but something like..

if [ -z "$_RC_CONF" ]; then
	. /etc/defaults/rc.conf
	if type source_rc_confs | fgrep "shell function" > /dev/null; then
		source_rc_confs
	else
		rc_conf_files=${rc_conf_files-'/etc/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf.local'}
		for i in $rc_conf_files; do
			if [ -r "$i" ]; then
				. "$i"
			fi