Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:13:04 +0100
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <q@uni.de>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: XFree86 4.3.0 update

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

On Wed, 19.03.2003 at 00:40:41 -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > 	Make sure your X session is running with depth >=3D 16!!!!
>=20
> I read an article from what should be a reliable source that said all
> modern SVGA cards perform best at their maximum color depth, since that's
> how they're optimized.

_Probably_ true for 2D and Desktop usage (though I doubt it) and
_definitely_ not true for 3D Usage (all those 32bit textures need to be
transferred from Chip <-> RAM, the smaller they are the faster the card
goes).

So the 16 vs 32 bit case is clear. But it might be true that 8bit modes
"suck" at newer hardware (because of emulation?)

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig--