Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 07:16:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X questions

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Jim Mock wrote:

> I've got 2.2.7-RELEASE set up on my box at home running X.. it seems
> to be running ok when I load it up, but I'm having some trouble
> getting X to start from alt-f4 (ttyv3).  I'm using afterstep as my
> window manager and I have the following in /etc/ttys..
>
> # Virtual terminals
> ttyv1 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc" 		cons25  on  secure
> ttyv2 "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		cons25  on  secure
> ttyv3 "/usr/X11R6/bin/afterstep"	xterm	on  secure

hmmm... I don't think you can start afterstep this way!

> I've also tried it with xdm -nodaemon instead of afterstep, but
> neither work.

Ah... this would be better:

console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  off secure
ttyv3   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

This is what I use.

> My syslog spits out this message ever minute or two..
>
> login: Sep 16 init:getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv3,
> sleeping 30 secs

I had such a message when I tried to put xdm on ttyv1 instead of ttyv3
When I put it back the way it is now, (see below) it stopped complaining.
And I could access xdm on Ctrl-Alt-F2 instead of -F4...

> I'm guessing that may be root of the problem.  How do I fix that?  As
> for afterstep, the only way I can get into it is by su'ing, starting
> xdm, logging in, and at the prompt typing afterstep to start it.  Once
> I do that it starts fine.. I'm sending this message from it now, but
> there's gotta be a way to set it to be my default window manager...
> I'm obviously missing someing here...

Indeed! I would like so much to be able toupgrade my webpage... I wrote a
handful of info about this, and can't get it up to the server...

The base principle is that you can run X by default, or not. If you want
every user on your computer to run X, use xdm. Else use 'startx', seee the
manpage.  The basic idea is that, in both cases you have a dot-file which
will tell X what to run. If you use xdm, the file is called .xsession ,
and will look like this:

---------------------
#!/bin/sh

exec afterstep
---------------------

if you wish to use startx, you will need a file called .xinitrc:

-----------------------
#!/bin/sh

exec afterstep

that's all!

Try to check my site (www.jsp.umontreal.ca/~beaupran/FreeBSD) often for
more info... I might be able to upload some stuff soon.

> Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

> Thanks.

Hope I helped!
|  Free the world from businessmen  |