Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 18:26:24 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
Cc:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi), dreeder@cs.pdx.edu, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wavelan PCMCIA

> Re dec stuff.  We are doing mobile-ip (and in fact it is beginning to work),
> so we aren't interested in "roaming" (basically link layer access point
> switches) per se.  The way att seems to do that,
> it involves having a different NWID per access point (bridge).  The unix
> drivers won't understand that of course.  I understand from Kannan A.,
> formerly at DEC,  that DEC has a form
> of mobile-ip.  Are your access points running that Matt?

Nope.  They run Digital's verison of WaveLAN roaming software.
The roaming protocol is fairly simple from what I've read.  The
difficult part is getting the additional information along the
packet from BPF.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message