Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 15:44:44 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Bruce Burden" <brucegb@realtime.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: symbol ktrgenio undefined, "streams.ko" failed to register!

> Now that I am running 4.3-STABLE, and not a RC version, I am
>    getting:
>
> module_register: module streams already exists!
> linker_file_sysinit "streams.ko" failed to register! 17
>
>    okay,streams.ko is being loaded, kld verified that. Clearly, I have
>    a file telling the kernel loader(?) to load steams.ko, and, I am sure,
>    I have a directive in the kernel to load the streams driver as well.

This is where FreeBSD 4.x is broken.  If you've got a module statically
linked in the kernel, and then try and kldload the module later, it won't
detect that it's already loaded, attempt to load it, and then fail with that
message, because only then it realizes that it's loaded. kldstat will then
show that it's loaded twice.  I'm not sure if this affects the operation of
the system (aside from wasting more resources).

As far as I can tell, this is fixed in -CURRENT.

--
Matt Emmerton