Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 2020 21:58:11 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deprecating ftpd in the FreeBSD base system?

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 08:55:26 -0700
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> wrote:

> In message <451538DE-9427-4584-987B-8E4AA26C2981@freebsd.org>, Daniel
> Eischen w
> rites:
> >

> > > On Sep 17, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > 〓〓〓Re: removing HTTP client please no!!! The current drive to "outlaw" HTTP
> > > coming from companies who see all world via web browser. Totally ignoring
> > > the fact that HTTP != HTTPS in particular in cases where reliability and
> > > lower complexity of the system takes precedence over on-the-wire protocol
> > > security. For example, many internal APIs of AWS EC2 are HTTP.
> >
> > Agree.  And remember the mantra: tools, not policy.
>
> Since there are so many I'll pick this email to reply to.
>
> libfetch should be designed to call plugins. An https plugin, http plugin,
> ftp plugin, sftp plugin, and so on. New protocols are added as needed,
> preferably to ports before they are mainstream. Old protocols are removed
> and moved to ports. People who still need to use old protocols can install
> the port which plugs into libfetch. When a protocol becomes stale it's
> forgotten, no longer maintained and simply disappears into the ether.

Looks reasonable for me, if all plugin to fetch base distribution
and pkgbase is guaranteed to be incorporated in base and install images.

No objection about removing ftpd and ftp client from base, if drop-in
(at least having enough compatibility with configuration files/envs)
alternatives are in ports.

Regards.