Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 09:43:46 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis), multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Report back on Luigi's sound driver and GUS PnP

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > #define quoting(Mark Murray)
> > // > as said above, all the ranges allocated to pcm1 are not used for pcm0
> > //
> > // ...so pcmc0 is a "dead" device, and is unuseable?
>
> no it is not dead. You declared pcm0 to be a legacy isa device, and
> since you have no such device you don't have anything associated with
> it...
>
> > This is ugly...
> >
> > I'd prefer something more like the pci system.
>
> this is exactly what the pci system does when you have legacy isa
> devices.

I think what folk meant above (I certainly did :-) ) was that if a
device is declared such:

device pcm0

then it should (?) itself from the PnP settings, not creating a "dead"
pcm0, and the "live" one from pnp1.

Are you saying that if you have a

device foo0

Where foo's were previously available in the ISA bus, then the first
workable fooN is foo1? YUKK!

Mark Murray