Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:55:11 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        mike@sprawlnet.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error messages on console annoying

This is more of a topic for questions.  I am cc'ing it there, please follow
up on that list.

As to your question,

man syslog.conf

specifically,
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
vs
*.err;local0.none;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console

At 08:54 AM 11/23/99 GMT, Mike wrote:
>hi all.
>I am continually getting messages on my console whenever someone checks their
>email. The error messages are this:
>
>Nov 22 20:15:53 www popper[8162]: @[2Cust85.tnt4.mia1.da.uu.net]: -ERR Too
>few a
>rguments for the auth command.
>Nov 22 23:00:09 www popper[8298]: mike@[2Cust85.tnt4.mia1.da.uu.net]: -ERR
>Unkno
>wn command: "xsender".
>
>and I got this message today which was a first, so if anyone can
enlightent me
>to what it means and how to stop getting these messages from popper to
broadcast on the console it would greatly be appreciated.