Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:58:51 -0600
From:      "Vega, Cesar" <cesar.vega@eds.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Slow response from inetd services

Hi everybody,

I'm new in FreeBSD and I have my first problem:

I installed FreeBSD 4.2 (I only have that version and I don't have Internet
access from here in order to install a more recent version via ftp). I'm
using the kernel security level # 2. I know that in this level inetd isn't
enabled by default, but because I need it in order to run some network
services, I activated inetd in /etc/rc.conf.

All works OK, except that my inetd services respond very, very slow. There
isn't a firewall between my machine and the FreeBSD box, so I don't know
what the problem is. Maybe some kind of encryption/authentication or
something like that? I'm using TCP-Wrappers in /etc/inetd.conf, but I have
the same slow response without TCP-Wrappers. I compiled TCP-Wrappers, I
haven't installed the package.

Someone has had a similar problem? Tips?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

CVC