Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 1996 19:26:16 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        erich@uruk.org
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, rv@groa.uct.ac.za
Subject:   Re: SMP on Intel MG15

Hi,

>[The messages are flying pretty fast on this thread...  I can barely keep
 up ;-)]
i spent most of the day emailing someone or another.  but, after a week of
almost no progress we have gotten quite far.

>It does ignore the following STARTUP IPI completely.
>
>The Intel CPUs only pay attention to the first STARTUP IPI after a reset
>(I can't remember where this is documented, but I've both seen it and
>talked with a few of the hardware geeks who implemented it in the first
>place).

spec 1.4, B.4.2 says:

 only one time after RESET or after an INIT IPI reception or pin assertion
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
( I assume this means there is a hardware equivilant pin for INIT IPI)

it is because of this line that I assummed the INIT IPI was for getting the
2nd CPU into a state ready for the following STARTUP IPI, and not to
actually launch the bootstrap code.

>I've read the 1.4 document pretty carefully.  In my experience it doesn't
>contradict itself, but it is somewhat ambiguous in a few spots.  If you
>have some real problems, I can probably dredge up my connections at Intel
>and get the complaints to them.

page B3, example B.1 "Universal Startr-up Algorithm":

 shows 2 STARTUP IPIs being run in a row

this contradits the above "one time" rule.

>Yes, as I mentioned before:
>
>  --  FreeBSD-SMP presumes the boot CPU is APIC id #0, and the second CPU
>      is APIC id #1.  Yes, there are several tables where the APIC id is
>      used as an index.

I'm chasing those down now...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by