Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 21:25:16 +0700 (NOVST)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   What are the best gcc optimization options for Pentium 200 MMX

Hi!

AFAIK, Linux Mandrake has it's kernel and userland highly optimized for
Pentium architecture.  However, they have additional gcc optimization
flags turned on by default, including -O3 and -mfast_math.

I'm trying to achive maximum performance of my FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE box,
and going to recompile kernel and world using -Os -pipe options.  Is there
any additional flags I might consider turning on (like -mfast_math) to
make both kernel and world work at the top performance I can achieve?

Of course, I could just man gcc and turn every option I find useful, but I
don't have _that_ much experience with gcc as (I am sure) certain people
on this maillist have.  So not to run into any problems in the future
caused by my 'overoptimized' system, I would like to get deep and full
answer here.  Thank you in advance.

System is: genuine intel Pentium 200 MMX proc, 64M memory, FreeBSD 4.0-R

P.S.  Please cc me directly, since I am not the member of this list.

Cheers,

  /* Alexey N. Dokuchaev, more commonly   |                                */
  /* known as DAN Fe                      | mailto:danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru   */
  /*                                      | ICQ UIN: 38934845              */
  /* Novosibirsk State University         | http://inet.ssc.nsu.ru/~danfe/ */
  /* Scientific Study Center Computer Lab |                                */

		[Team Assembler] [Team BSD] [Team DooM] [Team Quake]

Microsoft:	Where do you want to go today?
Linux:		Where do you want to go tomorrow?
FreeBSD:	Are you guys coming or what?

Microsoft:	What are we going to rip off today and claim as our own?

Microsoft:	Where do you want to be taken today?