Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2012 18:09:16 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Startup Notification?

Walter Hurry <walterhurry <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I'm running FreeBSD 9.1RC3 with LXDE and OpenBox.
>
> The startup-notification port is installed (it's required by a number of
> other ports anyway), but I don't actually see any form of visual
> notification when opening GUI applications. For many of these (e.g.
> lxterminal, pcmanfm) this doesn't matter, since they appear virtually
> instantaneously, but for others (like firefox) the lack is something of a
> nuisance.
>
> Am I missing an optional port, or is there a configuration file somewhere
> which I need to edit?

This narrative should give you some clue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/11462

Find a file like e.g. mozilla-firefox.desktop that will look similar to this:
Exec=firefox %u
Icon=firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupWMClass=Firefox-bin
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application
/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;text/mml;
StartupNotify=true
X-Desktop-File-Install-Version=0.15
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;