Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:47:27 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW newbie

--EY/WZ/HvNxOox07X

how about=20

    options IPFILTER
    options IPFILTER_LOG

in the kernel config and

    ipfilter_enable=3DYES
    ipfilter_flags=3D""
    ipmon_enable=3DYES

in /etc/rc.conf and

    pass in quick on INT proto tcp from ADM to SRV port =3D 22

as the first rule in /etc/ipf.rules where
INT =3D interface name (fxp0, tx0, ...)
ADM =3D ip of the workstation you want to log in from
SRV =3D ip of your server the firewall runs on

this gives you a dumbfire non-lockout rule regardless of the rest of the
filter rules...

/k

02:11:01 +0000:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm about to compile IPFW into the kernel for the first time... and just =
had
> a quick question... also, if anyone has any tips I would appreciate it.
> (this is going to be used on a webserver that runs everything from apache=
> shoutcast...)
>=20
> I am going to compile it in using this option:
> options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=3D10
>=20
> My question is, I connect to my box using an SSH session. The default for
> IPFW is not to accept connections correct? So after my machine reboots wi=
th
> these new rules in place, will I have to set the IPFW rules in place so t=
hat
> I can once again open an SSH session to it again? Or how does that work...
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Jordan
>=20

--=20
> "The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom." --W. Blake
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46

--EY/WZ/HvNxOox07X

--EY/WZ/HvNxOox07X--