Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 12:31:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        paul@FreeBSD.org, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: copyright notices for ports/packages

> > It's not up to us to require that end-users keep the copyrights
> > lying around after the binaries are installed. Whether we leave
> > them sitting in the source directory or move them to some central
> > place makes no difference to that point.
>
> Huh?  If the user wants to print out a copyright statement for a port
> or package, and it's certainly reasonable to assume that the two
> should be kept together, then it most definitely DOES make a
> difference! If we just leave them in the src directory then they'll
> get blown away by a clean.

Ok, there's some merit in that but what I was getting at was if
they'd built the packages themselves i.e. not used our ports
system,they'd be in the same boat, if the original code didn't
install it's Copyright then why should we worry about it?

If I just grab say tcsh off an archive site and build and install it
then nuke the sources, which is the most common scenario, then
there's no Copyright left lying around anywhere. We're creating
work for ourselves and cluttering the filesystem by doing more than
the original code did. If the authors were keen to have an online
copyright then they'd install it themselves and if that's the case then
that installation should be retained as part of the port.

It's not a big deal I guess, just seems like unecessary work.

--
  Paul Richards, Bluebird Computer Systems. FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org, http://www.freebsd.org/~paul