Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:51:27 -0500
From:      "Robinson, Scott" <Scott.Robinson@morganstanley.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   CD-ROM

I recently purchased from a distributor the 4.7 release.  I wanted to
install into a Gateway P4D-66 PC, which has a NEC CDR-260 CD-ROM.  Your
hardware notes say:

The following CD-ROM type systems are supported at this time:
*	SCSI interface (also includes ProAudio Spectrum and SoundBlaster
SCSI) ( cd(4)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cd&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.0-R
ELEASE>)
*	Sony proprietary interface (all models) ( scd(4)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=scd&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.0-
RELEASE>)
*	ATAPI IDE interface ( acd(4)
<http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=acd&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+5.0-
RELEASE>)

The last bullet point would indicate it would be supported even though the
specific device is not listed.  Even though I believe I have configured it
correctly in the setup, the device probe gives a response "ata0-slave
identify retries exceeded" and from there I am unable to configure the rest
using the CD-ROM.  Your ata(4) doc says:

For ISA based ATA/ATAPI support: device isa device ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1
irq 14 device ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15 For PCI based ATA/ATAPI
support: device pci device ata To support ATA compliant disk drives: device
atadisk To support ATAPI CD-ROM, CDR, CDRW, DVD-ROM and DVD-RAM drives:
device atapicd

I am not sure if I must do something else with the above or is it just that
this device is  not supported?

Thanks
Scott Robinson

**** Important Notice to Recipients ****
It is important that you do not use e-mail to request, authorize or effect
the purchase or sale of any security or commodity, to send fund transfer
instructions, or to effect any other transactions.  Any such request,
orders, or instructions that you send will not be accepted and will not be
processed by Morgan Stanley.