Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 13:07:59 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su>
Cc:        Tim Allshorn <ta_iy@hotmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cron pickle

Eugene Grosbein wrote:

| On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 12:17:30PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
|
| > |     I need to be able to run a particular program at the last
| > | minute of each month and yes I know it would be much easier to
| > | run it at the first minute of each month, but my hands are tied
| > | and my brain is too puny to work it out.
| >
| > This cannot be done with cron, even with multiple entries.  You
| > can use cron to schedule something for minute zero of each month
| > and that should be good enough for any reasonable use.
|
| This can be done with cron with single entry and small overhead.
| Run whis script at last minute of every day (or every 28-31):
|
| #!/bin/sh
|
| tomorrow=`date -v+1d %d`
| if [ $tomorroq -ne "01" ]; then
|   exit	# if tomorrow is not begin of month, do nothing
| fi
|
| # do work now

Sure:

    $ date -v+1d %d
    date: illegal time format
    usage: date [-nu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t west] [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]] ...
		[-f fmt date | [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]

    $ date '-v+1d %d'
    +1d %d: Cannot apply date adjustment
    usage: date [-nu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t west] [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]] ...
		[-f fmt date | [[[[[cc]yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]

Assuming you actually figure out how to get this thing right, it
makes my point -- you can't do this with a cron specification,
but you have to do the decision-making in the program.