Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 19:06:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Gee <Robert.Gee@mci.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Laplink install of FreeBSD using PLIP

On Tue, 26 May 1998, Robert Gee wrote:

> I finally finished installing FreeBSD 2.2.6 on my pc clone after resolving
> some interrupt problems.  It appears to be running like a champ!  Now, I
> want to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 on my Toshiba 4400SXC using a Laplink cable
> since my Xircom PEII is not supported.

Before we get too deep here, if your laptop has a CDROM drive I'd heartily
suggest purchasing the FreeBSD CDROM.  It makes things soooo much easier.

> I've used /stand/sysinstall to configure the lp0, sl0, and pp0 interfaces on
> my new pc clone host.  After checking the FAQ and Handbook, I bought and
> connected a High Speed Parallel Transfer cable (Laplink) between the pc
> clone and Toshiba.

You only wanted to configure lp0.  sl0 is for the SLIP serial interface
and ppp0 for the PPP serial interface.

> I booted up the Toshiba on a FreeBSD 2.2.6 boot disk, and the boot disk
> recognized the lp0, sl0, and pp0 interfaces.  However, whenever I attempted
> to use a Custom Install, it fails to ifconfig lp0 or sl0 interfaces.   I am
> able to ifconfig a pp0 interface, but I can't start the install after I
> establish a PPP connect in the VTY3 screen.  The pc clone reports LCP
> problems and the install times out.  I just need to dial on the VTY3 screen
> to send the PPP into packet mode since the two computers are hardwired with
> a Laplink cable.

You'll have to explain why it couldn't ifconfig lp0.  Unless you have some
free IPs to spare you'll have to allocate your own IPs (best on the
fakenet 10.0.0.0).  Make sure you have IP gatewaying enabled on the
workstation, assign an IP for each end of the lp link, add routing for
that net, and go for it.  It isn't as easy as it looks though, which is
why I recommend buying the CD.