Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:24:51 -0500
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-10 / xtend : what serial port for /dev/tw0 ?

I've received some wisdom in response to my original post, and have done
some additional research.

I now know that the TW523 normally talks to a parallel port, and my
use of the serial port was probably wrong....  But to be clear on this,
my problem is with the device that sits between the RJ12 and the PC.
The TW523 is in the wall socket, and the RJ12 cable connects the TW523
to this blue port adapter that is DB25 *female* (same gender as tha
parallel port on the PC).  A straight-through DB25 gender changer does
*not* make things work, and if you're following this, I'm sure you're
wondering just what this blue adapter is.  So was I, so I took it apart.

The inside is glopped together with hard plastic, so I can't take it
fully apart without breaking it ... but from what I can see, there's a
small circuit board with resistors, diodes and at least one capacitor on
it.  Pins 2 and 3 on the DB25 are in fact shorted together with solder,
and pins 4, 5, 6, and 19 connect to the circuit board.

So whatever this is, it wants to talk to a serial port.  The unit has
no label or brand identifier, and except for the fancy plastic goo and
professional-quality circuit board, it appears to have been assembled
from generic parts.  The printer circuit embedded inside has no visible
screen printing, and when plugged into a serial port through a serial
tester, I get lights (as I would expect) on TD, RD, RTS and DTR.

With pins 2 and 3 shorted, the unit acts as a serial loopback, so I'm
assuming it would communicate with the TW523 using RTS and DTR.

It obviously won't work with FreeBSD's built-in tw driver, but has
anyone ever heard of something like this?  Am I dealing with someone's
custom electronics project, or was this thing ever a "product"?

Perhaps a kit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  :-)

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Abuse / Whatever