Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 22:00:07 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0 interrupt timeout

> > The system will completely hang for several seconds - no process
> > activity, no disk activity, nothing - then the drive in question makes
> > the "powering up" sound it does when I first power up the machine, the
> > error appears on the console and activity resumes.

> 	You have auto-spindown / APM enable in the BIOS, and your
> 	disk spins down when it's been idle for some time (definable).

This probably seems pretty obvious, and if the above is true then it
would have been; the 'problems' started at about the time I enabled this to
see what effect it had. However, I had thought I'd disabled it this morning -
I'll have to check next time I reboot to make sure (since I've had another
recurrence since rebooting).

Thanks for your help.

Kris