Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:25:42 +0100
From:      Ingo <ingom-list@freenet.de>
To:        "Pietro Cerutti" <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.subr modification: testing and feedback are welcome!

Am 15.11.2006, 14:31 Uhr, schrieb Pietro Cerutti
<pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>:

> Hello List,
> I did a patch to allow rc.conf DAEMON_enable values to be decided at
> startup.
>
> 1) set apache_start="ask" in rc.conf
> 2) at boot, you'll be prompted with "RC_ASK - Enable apache? [yes|no] "
> 3) the daemon is started depending on the decision
> 4) the decision is stored until the next boot, so that rc.shutdown can
> decide whether to call stop for a particular daemon or not
>
> See:
> for more information and to download the patch
>

> Thanx!

Hello,

looks good (and works on my FBSD6.1), in general i like the idea but some
more feature would be nice.

There should be an tiemout so that the system boots even if I forget to
choose
(for example if I want to connect to the system by remote, and sshd isnĀ“t
startet yet).
E.g. something like a global ASK_DELAY="sec" default set to 3sec or so,
and adjustable by the variable.
(and maybe adjustable for every demon individual)
The DAEMON_enable variable should be set to ASK_DY to start after the
default timeout and ASK_DN
to not start after the timeout.

It should also be possible to use the short form [y/n] while booting in
addition to yes/no to start the deamon,
and when I misstype, the variable should be set to "no" so that there is
no errormessage from the rc system.

greetings