Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 95 10:43:30 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Argh, lost console  :-(

Frustrating:  I just lost my *(#@&@#^*( console again.

What happened:  I put xdm as the last entry in /etc/rc.local on a 486DX/33
with 32MB RAM, Fahrenheit 1280 VGA card, running 2.0.5R.

When the system comes up it appeared to work but I totally lost my keyboard.
xdm comes up, I can move my mouse, but I cannot type anything.

After much poking and prodding at it with vidcontrol, I got it "sorta" back
- I got a login: banner but only garbage when I typed.  I was then able to
run startx from remote - and everything worked (including kbd) - but when I
exited, the keyboard was again in a sorry state.

I'd just reboot the machine but it's also my ftp server, and there are
people logged in.

Is there a way to "reset" syscons to a sane state?

... Joe