Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 19:40:44 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov>
Cc:        Chris Vance <cvance@tis.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LKM Interface

Chris Csanady scribbled this message on Oct 30:
> >actually.. Doug Rabson did some work to get a kernel linker and module
> >design up and running (sys/kern_{module,linker}.c, sys/link_aout.c) and
> >it works quite nicely...  utilities to load/unload/stat are kld* in
> >/sbin...
>
> Wow.. I didn't realize that this was in current already. :)  How do I
> go about converting my PCI device driver to use it?  Also, are there

well.. basicly look at the definition of DECLARE_MODULE.. only problem
is that I don't know if the pci bus code can rescan the bus for "new"
drivers as they loaded...

> any plans for a transition to the new module system?  (elf as well?)

well.. I'm working on getting the code to run... and once that is done
I'll start importing the parts...

> >actually...  I'm going to be also redesigning the bus/device system..
> >right now each bus has it's own code, and there is no way to easily
> >have one bus be attached to another bus (i.e. pci to isa bridge)...
> >
> >right now my spec so far is:
> >http://resnet.uoregon.edu:6971/~jmg/FreeBSD/busdevice.html
> >but it still needs a lot of work...
>
> Have you taken a look at NetBSD's bus code?  They seem to have abstracted
> things fairly well..  Also, it might be interesting to look into their
> bus dma framework as well.

I have a bit (not much).. and I didn't link what I saw (I should look
closer)..  but with this new code, dma is provided by a device driver
and not as part of the bus code...  who knows why type of isa bus we
might encounter in the future? :)

also, the design is really quit basic, so the code for it won't be very
complex..  the most complex part is supporting the basic abus (address)
and bbus (bus) types of busses...   abus is a buss where each device is
able to be addressed specificily... some examples are pci, isa pnp, mca,
eisa, and pccard...  a bbus is a bus that really is a bus..  you post
information, and any one can consume it..  only bus that I know of that's
like this is isa...

read the spec...  send me comments... :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD