Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 13:46:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Bigby Findrake <bigby@ephemeron.org>
To:        tom brown <tomb@cgf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange file !

On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, tom brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm busy trying to update my sources.  I thought I blow away the broken
> tree by deleteing /usr/src.
>
> I can't remove this one file
>
> /usr/src/sys/i386
>
> c---r-S--x  1 2633515  2895918   38, 0x00210020 Jan 28  1970 i386
>
> Now although it might be uneraseable for a reason, I expect to be able
> to erase anything as root.
>
> I'm probably trying to do something realy stupid, it makes me a little
> paranoid to say the least.
>
> Any ideas?

On 3 different freebsd systems that I checked out that file is supposed to
be a directory.  I would guess that some filesystem corruption has
occurred.  I suggest that you take the system down to single user, unmount
that filesystem, fsck it, remount it after fsck is done, then try to use
rm or unlink to blast the file away.

BTW, this probably belongs more on Freebsd-Questions than
Freebsd-Security.

	Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with
	themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
                -- Susan Ertz

	        finger bigby@ephemeron.org for my pgpkey or
		http://home.ephemeron.org/~bigby/pgp_key.txt