Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 17:37:22 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rant: What are we?

I put off responding to this thread so that others would have a chance
to voice their opinions. I am pleased to see that they have. :)

Sue Blake wrote:

[history ellided]

> If anyone had a better idea for how to make this work and sincerely wished
> to do something constructive in the long term, they should have spoken up
> and volunteered their own efforts last month, last year, and the year
> before, when newbies asked for their own space and everyone was too busy
> hacking to lift a damn finger.

	Actually I did speak up. Your response was that you wanted a mailing
list for newbies and that was your only interest, whether it was a good
idea or not.

[snip]

> > I have and will continue to keep my posts to this lists few and
> > far between.
>
> And as moderator

	In what sense of the word?  I can't imagine that this list is actually
set up moderated (as in majordomo-wise) so your use of the word
"moderator" in this context translates into "a person who wants to
impose my will on the list" which I don't think is healthy or productive
for anyone. If this list is in fact moderated, please let us all know. I
personally will unsubscribe, and I imagine that quite a few others would
as well.

[snip]

> Now if you or anyone else cares to dispute the validity of those concerns or
> the wisdom of this decision, debate it by all means, but not here. The issue
> should be returned to freebsd-chat where it started, and where there's
> several people who have an interest in the original discussion.

	I disagree. If the people using the list can't discuss how the list is
run on the list, something is wrong.

> Being the moderator this makes me extremely unpopular,

	Once again, I'd like a clear definition of what you mean here.

[snip]

> Weak Disclaimer: For those who are new, Doug and I are like the dog and cat
> of the community at the moment :-)

	I don't appreciate your attempt to characterize me as opposing you on a
personal level. As I've stated elsewhere I have a great deal of
experience in customer service and technical support and I have
different ideas about the best way to help new users learn FreeBSD and
relate to the rest of the user community. This is not personal now,
wasn't personal when the conversation began and won't ever become
personal from where I sit. In fact it seems to me that you have far more
personally invested in this than most anyone else, not that that's
necessarily a bad thing.

	Are there other new users who'd like to speak out on this topic? What
do YOU see as the value of a new users list?  What kind of things would
you like to see discussed? I personally am very intersted in
*specifically* why people feel uncomfortable posting to or reading
-questions. All of us had a very first day using a freebsd system, even
the most seasoned veteran. Don't let the fact that some people know more
about something than you do intimidate you, that will always be true in
all areas of life. :)

Eager to hear from you,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest