Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 13:44:00 +1100
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcl 7.6 & tk 4.2

On Feb 02, 1997 at 12:44:41PM, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Maybe it is better to wait for version 8 (or currently use their beta
> > versions) and forget about Tcl 7.6/Tk 4.2.
>
> I lean leavily towards the former option.  After listening to Brent
> Welch speak at the Tcl/Tk BOF this past USENIX about some of the
> things they have in 8.0 or are upcoming for the full release, I'd say
> that 8.0 is more than just another revision bump - it's a jumping-off
> point for a whole new style of interaction with Tcl & Tk, and it's
> going to be sort of a "get on the bandwagon or be forever left behind"
> kind of proposition for many of the existing applications.

Very much like perl4 vs. perl5 then.

Let's hope that we won't be so reticent about upgrading our
source tree so that we don't remain in the DarkAges<tm> for
years after tcl7.x becomes obsolete.

Nagging? Me? Never! :-)

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/