Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:01:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/3205: Mtools-3.0 fails to WRITE to dos partition under 2.2 (fix supplied)

Hi !

> Can Anyone tell me, why the mtools are so damn slow with SCSI disks ? I
> have between 16 and 26 seconds waiting time for a simple mdir (depends on
> which disk I choose) and nearly 2KB/s rate when copying to or from it.
> I use a Adaptec 2940AU. In my notebook I use an IDE disk, there's absolutely
> no problem with the speed, it runs normally. Can anyone tell me how to
> change this behaviour ?
>
> >  >On examination, it turns out that rather than using perror(),
> >  >the mtools source uses the following logic:
> >  >
> >  >If flock(device) fails
> >  >	and it's EINVAL
> >  >		Then assume we don't need to lock the device
> >  >	otherwise
> >  >		print `device busy'
> >  >
> >  >FreeBSD doesn't return EINVAL for this purpose - it uses EOPNOTSUPP.
>
> By the way, I tried the patch and it didn't changed anything. Maybe a problem
> with the SCSI-code ? I use 2.1.6R at this time...

Ok, now here's the solution: mtools-3.5a

They provide SCSI-support and many bugs have been fixed. I'd suggest to include
this version in the packages. It's hardly recommended for most users like me
who has partitions beyond 1GB because msdosfs can destroy such partitions.

Bye,
	Udo

--
Udo Wolter, email: uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de