Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:39:55 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mike <mike@deadmime.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tiger + Promise Raid in FreeBSD

> Mike wrote:
>
> Hey All,
>
>     I have a machine, Tyan Tiger motherboard, dual 733's with the
> promise ATA100
> raid controller built on. I'm using this in a setup with 2 40Gb
> Western Digital drives
> in a Raid 0 (mirrored) config. I set the machine up a while ago, so
> it's running
> FreeBSD 4.3-BETA (it was the newest version on the cvs tree).
>
>     So, with that aside, I'm having these bad bad problems, where
> any big writes/read
> to the disks, are causing the machine to panic and reboot. Nothing
> logged, no errors
> just reboots. For example, I tried tar'ing up a 300(ish) meg
> directory yesterday, and
> it worked for about ~100 megs, then it rebooted. I thought maybe it
> had something
> to do with the fact I had softupdates enabled (softupdates with the
> raid??).. so I
> tried disabling that, with no change.
>
>     Now, a friend of mine has the identical board, setup in the same
> config (with
> Quantum drives), but is running 4.4-RC.
>
>     Does anybody know if there are any issues with FreeBSD 4.3-BETA
> and the
> promise controllers? (I'm just assuming that it is the controller, I
> could be
> completely wrong though).

If it is, you can set the rate to pio using sysctl. Do a man sysctl
and look for hw.atamodes and use the example to set your drives to pio
mode. Your command will look something like

sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio...

A lot has changed in the ATA device driver.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

It is hard to believe you are soaring with Eagles (las águilas)
when you accept SPAM like a mouse (el ratón).

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com
http://daily.daemonnews.org/