Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:29:53 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Andrew McRae <amcrae@cisco.com>
Cc:        "Nate Williams" <nate@sneezy.sri.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gated & pccard don't get along

> Having thought long and hard about this, I have come to the
> conclusion that having hot-swappable resources and interfaces
> is a great idea in theory, but the kernel (and parts of the user-land
> and daemons) generally assumes that devices are not going to
> appear and disappear at random intervals.  It is pretty scary to
> think of the changes required to really make the system understand
> this concept fully. The net code is a good example; whilst the
> insert/remove scripts can already do some of these things (like
> add default routes etc.), we are really working with a bit
> of glue around the edges, and not tackling some of the core
> problems.

Yet. :)

This actually came up last night during one of the conversations Poul
and I had after dinner.

> One issue is the way various bits get informed about
> changes [e.g a card being pulled]. The need is for programs
> to be started or stopped, signals sent, kernel tables to be
> modified, daemons to be informed [e.g gated] etc.

I agree.  The 'glue' in FreeBSD is pretty weak in this area.

> Berny Goodheart and I were talking about this, and his
> suggestion is to implement a registry scheme, I imagine with
> a graph of dependancies and some IPC etc. Tandem (Berny's
> employer) uses such a scheme to implement hot swap
> in their high availability architecture.  Having worked on such a scheme
> myself, I appreciate the complexity.  Unfortunately, you can't implement
> just a *little* bit of the scheme.  If you do *any* form of
> hot swap, you have to go the whole hog. Cisco also support
> hot-swap, and even when it's designed in from day one, it is
> still a significant effort to make it work.

While I agree in reality, in practice I think although we can't have
'the best' solution I think we can make the current glue a bit more
useful, especially given the fact that we already pull in /etc/sysconfig
which contains most of the 'customization' informtaion.

> So I guess I am saying that the little bit of glue around
> the edges is a pretty good scheme for FreeBSD, unless some
> serious effort is undertaken.  Thus I would consider pccard
> to not really offer hot swap, but more of a `user friendly
> hardware bus'.  Having said that, I think the glue holds
> together as much as can be expected :-)

I hope we can make it stickier. :)

Nate