Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 1995 09:03:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Clay D. Hopperdietzel" <hoppy@appsmiths.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GDB still broken?

[...]
:: >
:: >In the meantime, is there anything I can look for to make sure I actually got
:: >the change you meant to make through sup?
::
::    Look at the revision of /sys/kern/sys_process.c and make sure it is rev 1.9.

here's mine:

 *	$Id: sys_process.c,v 1.9 1995/02/10 22:36:11 davidg Exp $

::
:: >I should also say the executable I'm aiming it at is pretty fat.  I've got
:: >16MB of ram, but loading this monster in GDB pages the bejeezus out of
:: >my box.  I'll also try it with something smaller, & let you know my findings.

I completely rebuilt kernel this AM after a fresh sup.  Still have the
same problem.  This time, I tried it with a simple 'hello.cpp' and GDB
seems to work fine (dunno if it did before your 1.9 changes).  Ran it
with a somewhat larger app (exe size ~=4MB), and it also seemed to work
fine (again dunno before 1.9).  Ran it on good 'ol porky (exe
size~=17MB) and got the same panic as before. Always seems to be the
same 'va', different 'pdir'.

The fat app is a large C++ program which drags in X11.  It runs outside of
the debugger without incident.  I don't know how much shared library stuff
is going on, I just linked it with g++ without any particulary obnoxios
options.

I'll be happy to send it to you (or anybody else) if you think it will do
you any good.