Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:43:38 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Greg Skouby <gskouby@sitesnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: source routing (again)

> 192.168.1.1 is the gateway address. In my network
> I can get to it through fxp0 and fxp1. However,
> out fxp1 is a firewall/bridge that also does content filtering.
> If the user has signed up for that filtered access I need
> to assign him a certain IP (I figured that part out) and
> route his/her traffic out fxp1, through the filtering bridge and
> to 192.168.1.1. If the user doesn't want filtered access I need
> to assign an IP out of a different block and route out of fxp0 to
> 192.168.1.1. That is why I need to be able to specify which interface,
> not just which next hop for the packet.

Standard *BSD stack won't let you choose different interfaces
to the same next hop unless it is directly reachable.  But if
the firewall is a router (or you can put a router in front of
the firewall bridge) this is trivial.

server fxp0 --------------------- gateway
 fxp1                               |

Then for the clients that go through the firewall, you
just add a route that points to the firewall.  For example
if such clients are in the block a.b.c/24, and firewall
has the address 10.0.0.1, you can do

    route add a.b.c.0 -netmask 0xffffff00 10.0.0.1

Of course, fxp1 is on the 10. net.