Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 12:57:56 +0200
From:      Ian Freislich <iang@digs.iafrica.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   fsck problem at boot time

Hi

Were having a problem with our news server at boot time. Fsck
complains that it can't alloc about 8Mb of memory for lncntp (?)
when it comes to check the news spool filesystem - a ccd of 4 4Gb
disks.

This problem relates to the resources allowed to the boot process,
run as user daemon - as I'm led to believe. Fscking a 16Gb disk
requires more memory than the kernel is willing to give to fsck.
The entry in /etc/login.conf for daemon hints that the limits set
here are used for rc. Changing the limits here, running cap_mkdb
and rebooting proved otherwise.

My eventual solution to the problem was to add the follwing to .etc.rc:
ulimit -d  65536
ulimit -s  65536
ulimit -m  65536
ulimit -l  65536

Which is IMHO a rather inelegant hack. Can anyone suggest a better
solution or at least empathise :)

-- igf (Ian Freislich)
Senior Network Enginner
UUNET Internet Africa