Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 02:54:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: GRRRRRRRRR COMPILER ERRORS

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Boris wrote:

> No, i made build world, the compiling of the kernel was impossible, i
> restarted the server and BANG every network functions were disabled, i
> have tried to backup as much as possible but it took me a week to
> reconfigure the server.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I never ever try to do two things at the
same time. If you're updating your kernel to an unreleased version, you
should expect breakage, so replacing the kernel with an untested one is
asking for trouble.

If your complaint boils down to "I expect CVSup to produce a perfectly
running system and I'm disappointed", then you are absolutely right (and
also very unrealistic). The people that develop the updates to FreeBSD
stable are most likely not ISDN users, and if you CVSup you run the risk
of encountering breakage. In the greater scheme of things, ISDN is not a
central part of FreeBSD, because relatively few people have ISDN (as
much as FreeBSD is not the life focus of the ISDN4BSD developers --
matter of fact, my ISDN gateway at home still is an ancient BSD/OS 3.1
system; I've got funnier things to do than spend my life upgrading
stuff that works).

First of all, you should consider getting a test system if you want to
run untested combinations of software. Blaming FreeBSD for the problems
you had because you inadvertantly blew away a working system is not the
right thing to do.

Second, not keeping a copy of a working kernel on your root partition is
asking for trouble.

The people that develop ISDN4BSD have non booting kernels all the time.
It's the price for living on the bleeding edge. However, when that
happens, they just boot from the previous kernel, remove the faulty
kernel and mv the working one back. I even keep an even older kernel
around in case I miss a horrible bug in a kernel that otherwise works.
If you prepare right, downtime on your production machines is
minimal.

Cheers,

				-- Bert

Bert Driehuis -- driehuis@playbeing.org -- +31-20-3116119
If the only tool you've got is an axe, every problem looks like fun!