Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 18:54:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: schg flag on make world in -CURRENT

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, -Vince- wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, J Wunsch wrote:
>
> > As -Vince- wrote:
> > >
> > > 	Is there anyway to remotely login to a FreeBSD box and 'su' to root
> > > to do a make world without having to do noflags schg on all the files
> > > with that flag on it generated by the last make world in -CURRENT?  Thanks!
> >
> > Why don't you just use "rlogin" and "su"?
>
> 	Does rlogin and su make any difference?  I'm using ppp from Win95
> and I don't have a rlogin program, only telnet...

	As long as you are a member of group wheel (/etc/group), you can
su to root no matter what way you login to the machine.  But you have to
be a member of wheel, and you have to use su.

	Even on the console, you can set it up so that you can  only su
to root...and have it so that if someone tries to reboot into single user
mode, it will force them to enter root's passwd, increasing system
security even further

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc