Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 11:11:18 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ppp problems on 4.3-RELEASE and PPPoE

Brian:

If he's having the same lockup as me, PPP is blocking on
a select() while trying to re-establish a connection that
has gone down. If there's a pppctl socket open and you're
issuing commands it doesn't lock up. But when you shut
down the socket by terminating pppctl the lockup occurs.
The lockup also occurs if pppctl wasn't running at the
outset.

To reproduce the problem (and it's easily reproducible
here), pull the client's Ethernet cable. The client will
retry properly once. The second time it retries, it will
lock. Since this may be adapter-dependent, try with an ed
card (I think that everyone in the universe must have at
least one of these).

--Brett