Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:31:31 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        des@ofug.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_sf bug

In a message dated 10/04/2001 1:43:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, des@ofug.org
writes:

> > > The if_sf driver doesnt seem to initialize itself until an address is
set,

>  > > which makes things like tcpdump, bridging and other promiscuous things
> not
>  > > work.
>  > All the interfaces do that.  If you want to make an invisible interface,
>  > configure it with IP 0.0.0.0.
>
>  I believe 'ifconfig foo0 up' is sufficient.

That is what SHOULD work. But it seems that some of BPs drivers dont do an
if_init until an address is set.

The driver should be ready to send and accept raw frames when IFF_UP and
IFF_RUNNING are set, which implies that if_init() at minimum should be done
when flags are set. The if_sk driver has the  same problem.