Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 10:17:56 +0900
From:      "Ueda, Kazukiyo" <kueda@jupiter.qse.tohoku.ac.jp>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "df" entry in /etc/printcap ignored?

----Next_Part(Sat_Apr_17_10:17:41_1999_809)--

Hi all,

I have used a PostScript printer, that is Apple LaserWriter 16/600PS,
which is hooked up to my school's LAN.  The printer communicates using
LPD protocol with other computers.  When I print a PostScript file
from my computer in which FreeBSD 3.1.0R is installed using the
command,

        % lpr foo.ps

the file is printed okay.  Today I tried to make lpr (or lpd?) use
filter programs to print non-PostScript files.  I had read the printer
section in the FreeBSD Handbook, and changed /etc/printcap for filter
programs as described in the handbook.  The program to print a text
file is same as "if-simple" written in the Handbook and specified it
in "if" entry of /etc/printcap.  A text file and a PostScript file
could be printed successfully.  Next time, I set up a filter program
for DVI file and tried to print a dvi file with a command

        % lpr -d foo.dvi
              ^^
but nothing was printed.  I am afraid that "df" entry in /etc/printcap
is ignored, because no error message comes out to console or syslog
file even if the filter program is not executable.

The printcap file on my computer is attached to this mail.  Any help
or commend would be appreciated.  TIA.

--
Kazukiyo Ueda

----Next_Part(Sat_Apr_17_10:17:41_1999_809)--