Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:06:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Peter G <pg@eth1.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAE, mem available to user?

Thank you for your response

What i'd like to be able to do on this 5.2.1 machine
is run a user job that may take up 1.5GB of mem, i'd
like it to start swapping which it doesn't do, nor
does it panic, nor does it lock up. It stays
responsive.

Taking what U said i recompiled the kernel as a non
PAE build and included

options maxusers 512
options MAXDSIZ="(1664*1024*1024)"
options DFLDSIZ="(1664*1024*1024)"

and i am now able to start the job and watch it go to
about 1.2GB, actually 1.18GB, then either job stops or
job coredumps, machine stays nice and responsive and
stable.

I have it configured w/ 2 large swap files on 2
diffrent spindles but the machine does not start
swapping.

The only error messages in the logs or dmesg is that
this user job core dumped.

What tunable parameters can i put into the next kernel
build configuration to help me here?
KVA_PAGES? setting maxusers to something else?
I have a very small kernel requirement i want to
maximize my user available space for this job..?

Thanx again
--P