Date:      Sun, 01 Nov 1998 17:42:48 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yes!

> It is installed!
>
> [ for the greppers and searchers ] Alpha Personal Workstation 433au OK
>
> It installed, and make world (actually buildworld, followed by
> installworld) completed successfully.
>
> Minor Questions remain:
>
> *  Sysinstall asks about fdisk partitions but the installation ignores the
>    information.  Should it?  or, should the Alpha simply not ask these
>    offensive DOSish questions?

The SRM console doesn't use them; the install tools should ideally
detect this, but we don't properly (yet) handle entire-disk allocation
correctly.

> *  Assuming only one ``slice'' exists in which to install FreeBSD
>    partitions, how does one create a device with say, 20 filesystems?
>    No, this is not a DPT (yet again :-) question, although it could easily
>    be one.

You can't do it inside sysinstall.  You can probably build/run fdisk
and divvy up a non-boot disk into slices, and then put labels on the
slices.  The SRM console won't boot from a disk with a "normal" MBR on
it (I don't think you could come up with a merged block 0 format but I
could be wrong).

> *  Who is responsible for the fix which will make the boot disk bootable?
>    If I am, then where is the best place to stick this code (thanks Doug!)?

We need to work out what's going wrong first; newfs'ing the disk seems
to render it unbootable.  8(

> *  Upon reboot, I saw the repeated message ``,kernel.old not found'', or
>    some such.  Is this an artifact of installworld, or what?

It was a bug in /boot/loader; Doug fixed it.

> *  It seems like this machine here has sound interfaces.  Does anyone know
>    how to make them work?

They're probably WSS-compatible.  Port the new ISA sound system to the
new ISA bus interface.  I understand that DMA on the ISA Alpha's is
interesting (hence no floppy support).