Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:00:25 +0100
From:      Gerrit =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FChn?= <gerrit@pmp.uni-hannover.de>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS "zpool replace" problems

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:46:19 -0800 Jeremy Chadwick
<freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> wrote about Re: ZFS "zpool replace" problems:

JC> - zpool offline <pool> <disk>
JC> - atacontrol detach ataX (where X = channel associated with disk)
JC> - Physically remove bad disk
JC> - Physically insert new disk
JC> - Wait 15 seconds for stuff to settle
JC> - atacontrol attach ataX (where X = previous channel detached)
JC> - zpool replace <pool> <disk>
JC> - zpool online <pool> <disk>

JC> "reinit" shouldn't be needed at all -- in fact, I've seen reinit cause
JC> some craziness (even on Intel controllers), including a system
JC> deadlock, but this was back during the RELENG_6 and RELENG_7 days.
JC> Great improvements have been made to ata(4) since then.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would have went exactly this way, if I did
not have the extra slots or one of the drives was actually faulty. But in
this case I just wanted to replace every drive on-by-one and (at least I
thought) I had extra slots, so I did not want to give up the redundancy
during the replacement (knowing very well that the drives to be replaced
are already beyond the specification of wd due to the load-cycle bug).

JC> If you need me to validate the above procedure (it's been a while since
JC> I've had to hot-swap a disk), I can do so.  I do have a 4-disk
JC> Supermicro SuperServer 5015B-MTB (ICH9-based) sitting on my workbench
JC> which I can test with.

I'm quite sure this will work fine. I just don't know how to get rid of
the degraded replacement zfs sees.

JC> It honestly sounds like hot-swapping is causing some chaos on your
JC> system.  Are all of the controllers involved configured for AHCI?

I think so. How could I verify this?

cu
  Gerrit