Date:      12 Mar 2002 00:34:19 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@iDaemons.org>
Cc:        MANTANI Nobutaka <nobutaka@nobutaka.com>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/autotrace Makefile  ports/graphics/graphviz         Makefile ports/graphics/libafterimage  Makefile         ports/graphics/librsvg Makefile ports/graphics/libwmf  Makefile         ports/graphics/sdl_ttf Makefile ports/print/ft2demos  Makefile ...

--=-T2pVhAankBhFsyFc8hH0

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 23:22, Akinori MUSHA wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Don't you bump PORTREVISION?
> >=20
> > No, I didn't due to the reasons already discussed here several times.
> > In short, this would require from me to bump PORTREVISION in some
> > 2,600 ports (`cd /usr/ports ; make search key=3Dfreetype2 | grep ^Path =
|
> > wc -l') and I am not paranoidal enough.
>=20
> I can understand your sentiment here that it is too paranoiac and
> unrealistic to touch 2,600 Makefile's, but I believe you should at
> least bump the PORTREVISIONs of the ports that directly lib-depend on
> libfreetype2.  That's the way we've done things since we introduced
> PORTREVISION.
>=20
> Most of us still remember what happened when libpng's major was bumped
> without bumping the dependent ports' PORTREVISIONs.  Innocent users
> who used `pkg_version -c' scripts to upgrade packages all got stuck
> and forced to reinstall almost everything by hand.
>=20
> Now I can say it is likely that the total cost would have been lower
> if we had bumped the PORTREVISIONs of (literally) thousands of ports
> that depended on libpng.
>=20
> I'm sure you are not going to repeat the mistake..

As I said earlier, what we really need is the feature that will track
ABI-incompatible upgrades and when such upgrade is performed bump
PORTREVISION of all dependent ports automagically. Actually I've already
described prototype of such feature and instead of spending out time
arguing whether or not we need to bump PORTREVISION on 10 out of tens or
even hundreds ports that use freetype (waste of time IMO) in the long
run we are better off to implement such feature and forget about it.

In a nutshell idea is to assign each port with something called
PKGABIVERSION (>=3D0, non-decreasing), which will need to be increased
each time when some ABI-incompatible change is committed (e.g. shlib
version bump) and make PKGREVISION of each port be an arithmetical sum
of PKGABIVERSION's of all its dependencies and its own PORTREVISION.
Actual implementation I'm leaving as an exercise for the reader, because
I do not use portupgrade by myself and therefore have no interest in
doing it on my own. For me `pkg_delete -r freetype2\* ; cd
/usr/ports/x11/gnome ; make reinstall' is absolutely sufficient.

-Maxim

>=20
>=20
> 		*		*		*
>=20
> Notes for portupgrade users:
>=20
> Possibly you won't see a big problem even if you blindly portupgrade
> freetype2 since portupgrade keeps the old version of libfreetype2.
> However, you'd better rebuild and reinstall all the dependant packages
> to stop the libraries and the apps from linking different versions of
> a library simultaneously.  Run the following command to do that
> automatically (Will take a long time, as you can imagine):
>=20
> 	portupgrade -fr freetype2 -x '>=3Dfreetype2'
>=20
> Which reads: rebuild and reinstall freetype2 and all that depend on it
> except for the packages that had been installed prior to freetype2.
>=20
> --=20
>                      /
>                     /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org
>                    / )  )  ) )  /     FreeBSD.org / Ruby-lang.org
> Akinori MUSHA aka / (_ /  ( (__(  @ iDaemons.org / and.or.jp
>=20
> "Somewhere out of a memory.. of lighted streets on quiet nights.."
>=20
>=20

--=-T2pVhAankBhFsyFc8hH0

--=-T2pVhAankBhFsyFc8hH0--