Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:40:05 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MOSIX on FreeBSD

> I thought that FreeBSD was associated with BSDi now.  I wonder if
> something could be worked out because I do not think that BSDi is doing
> anything with the MOSIX code.

I wouldn't be expecting BSDi to be doing very much of anything with
FreeBSD right now.  However, this situation has been discussed several
times before, and the bottom line is this:

The MOSIX developers want (need) money.  They will port MOSIX anywhere
that you are willing to fund them to, and maintain it for as long as
you're willing to fund them to.  The MOSIX port to BSD/OS is very out of
date, and probably not worth using as a reference anymore.

If anyone's going to make this work, they either a) need to find a fair
slab of money (I seem to recall the MOSIX people asking for a six-figure
sum for the port) or b) a few developers and a deal of free time to do
the work.

No amount of begging or pleading or saying "it should happen" is going to
do it, unfortunately. 8)