Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 01:11:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

In lists.freebsd.hackers you write:

>The clear mistake was in hot-upgrading a production machine rather
>than installing/upgrading a 2nd box (or, at the very minimum, a second
>disk with / and /usr on it) and doing the cut-over as a staged
>exercise.  Then if you'd seen the 2.2.5 problem here, you'd have
>simply switched back to the previous setup and given yourself the
>breathing room to puzzle over the new problem scenario at your
>leisure.  Doing it the way you just did it is, frankly, about as
>completely and utterly wrong as it's possible to do things in an ISP
>environment and various protruding parts of you now need to be
>slapped, if you have someone around to provide this helpful service
>for you, so that you don't do something this criminally stupid in a
>production environment again. :-)

Now Now, not all of us have spare hardware to throw around, besides I've done
this on my production news server twice now :)  It started life as a 2.2 alpha
snap, then a few months back I installed 2.2.2-RELEASE on top of it, and just
a few weeks ago 2.2.5 on top of that.  So far, everythings been running peachy
keen.  Granted if I jump major OS revs (3.0) a complete from scratch start is
in the plans.  Although granted, I dont mind putting myself in situations
where I have to completely rebuild a system from scratch in an hour or so, a
little pressure never hurt anyone :)

>As for your "weird pauses", that's the first I've heard of any such
>symptoms and would strongly recommend that you start trying to collect
>data during those pauses as to whether it's the interface, DNS,
>routes, what exactly "hangs" at the lowest level of this.

Same here.. I've been running 2.2.5 (installed ontop of a live filesystem that
started life as above) on my very heavily beat news server with zilcho
problems.  Its been rocking as a matter of fact.  I swapped out the de0 card
in it just the other day to try out a fxp0 to see if it made any difference
(it didnt) but the machine is still humming along great transferring a little
over a million articles a day across a 12 disk CCD array across 4 adaptec 2940
scsi controllers.  This machine (ALR Revolution MP-Pro) / OS combination is
the best I've ever had the pleasure of working on.  Everytime I have to go do
something under solaris I whine for weeks about it :)  [Course right about now
flames should erupt from the disks, and the CPU should blast through the front
of the case :)]

So my rant ends in, again FreeBSD (And by the transitive property, its
developers) is the most reliable, high performance, easiest to play with, and
funnest (yea its a word, cause I said so :) to play with!  Thanks mucho!

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich