Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 11:35:11 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, sheeme@corpcomm.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.xR: AIC7xxx driver vs. st() driver vs. tape drives

Jonathan M. Bresler stands accused of saying:
> > The two errors here are _very_ different.  The first is nasty, the
> > second is the 'media changed' "error".
> >
> > > 	afterward a 'mt -f /dev/rst0 rewind' is enough to kick the
> > > drive/driver so i can use it.  strange.
> >
> > No, normal.  Admittedly, the driver could be made smarter about it, but
> > that would break other things.  In reality, it's a flaw in the SCSI
> > spec, and has probably been addressed in later versions.
>
> 	i dont follow you, could you explain this somewhat more fully.  i
> am getting up to speed on scsi now...just read a fujitsi product guide
> and i NEED to get a copy of the spec.

Sure; when you change the tape in a tape drive, it 'tells' the host by
returning a bogus error code.  Essentially, it returns a Check Condition
status, but Request Sense doesn't show an error. (SCSI gurus please
correct me if I'm a little off on terminology here).
Adding intelligence to the tape driver to deal with this is generally
believed to be a Bad Idea.

You can get both SCSI and ATA specification documents from
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/standards/

> Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com	| Analysis & Technology, Inc.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[