Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 10:11:11 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

So when this hang happens, there never is a real panic. It just sits in a
state which I describe as like being in a deadlock. How would I go about
getting a crashdump if it never panics? Is it possible to do the dump over
a network or something because I don't believe it can write through the
controller at all.

Also, thank you for the KTR_SCHED tip. This is the type of info I was
looking for. Unfortunately I've only ever seen this crash once on a kernel
with debugging enabled. The machine which is currently prepared to do this
work used to crash a few times a week and now it has 70 days uptime...
however, it is an example of a machine with mpt0 and em0 sharing an IRQ so
I might be able to trigger it using Dane's method.

$ vmstat -i
interrupt                          total       rate
irq1: atkbd0                         392          0
irq6: fdc0                             9          0
irq14: ata0                           34          0
irq18: em0 mpt0               1189748491        218
cpu0: timer                   2174263198        400
Total                         3364012124        619

I'm doing my best to get you guys the info you need, but this is one heck
of a Heisenbug...