Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 22:27:19 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        jas@flyingfox.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, nathan@senate.org
Subject:   Re: SSHD from Inetd

> Or you can do what we've done on some of our machines, and turn off inetd,
> leaving *only* sshd running.  Who needs legacy protocols like telnet and
> ftp when you've got sshd?  (Tongue partly in cheek here; but only partly.
> This really does work well in some environments.)

You're not the only one. We have some machines here with only ssh login,
and the only thing run out of inetd is the qmail smtpd.

I've been wishing for a few more knobs for just such situations - for
instance a knob to control whether portmap is started or not. I normally
turn off portmap - because I have no use for it, and because portmap has
traditionally had security holes. (I'm confident that the FreeBSD portmap
is better than the old SunOS 4.1.x portmap in this regard, but it could
still have security holes.)