Date:      28 Jan 2002 20:21:15 +0100
From:      "Wolfram A. Kraushaar" <wak@xtweb.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   strange smbfs error

Hello,

I Get some strange errors with mount_smbfs...

I'm working in a Network with a NT4 PDC and
a SAMBA 2.2.2-Server on FreeBSD 4.5 RC1.

The Samba-Server is joined to the NT-Domain
via smbpasswd -j <NT-Domain>.

Mounting the Shares on the Samba Server works
fine from a W2K Workstation. But now I tried
to set up a FreeBSD Client to use the shares
on both, the NT4 PDC and the Samba with the
same username and password. mounting shares
on the NT4 machine works out again fine, but
no way with the Samba Server. I don't think,
it's a Problem of Samba, because if I set up
a test-user on the Samba with a simple
lower-case password, I'm able to mount shares
on the Samba-Server.

I think, it's a case conversion problem,
because the difference between the two
accounts used on Samba is, that the
Account which doesn't work has:
an uppercase letter at the beginning of the
username (e.g. Mydomuser). The other user,
that works out with Samba has a complete
lowercase username (e.g. test).

Mounting a Samba share with the uppercase
usename throws the following error:

mount_smbfs: unable to open connection:
syserr = Authentication error.

Does anybody know anything about this, and
how to fix it?

thx,
W. A. Kraushaar