Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:56:16 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
Cc:        andrew@squiz.co.nz, Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Err.. cat exploit.. (!)

Stefan Eggers wrote:
> As I understand it these actions are meant for use in X resources to
> bind keys to certain actions.  So if one makes sure that the resources
> are only loaded with user specified ones (as Xsession - which is used
> by xdm - seems to do if one doesn't have an ~/.xsession) and the X
> server disallows all accesses to other users only oneself can have set
> these.  Or do I misunderstand something here?

You misunderstand the terminal model.

_MOST_ modern terminals have the ability to allow an escape-sequence
to modify either the "report-back" string, any keystroke, or certain
keystrokes to send a (attacker-chosen) string.

Clever attackers have used this in the past to get the terminal to
send hostile commands back to the host system.

X server is not involved in the _general_ model, nor is the OS.

Can we put this to sleep now?

Mark Murray