Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 11:41:30 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, gmarco@masternet.it
Subject:   Re: Problem with Adaptec 2940UW.

>Hello again,
>
>Well I grabbed the CVS tree and started making kernels.  I narrowed
>it down to two dates that the problems started showing up.  It seems
>there are two bugs, one that is causing hanging at boot time and one
>that causes problems while the system is running.  The booting problem
>can be avoided by disabling wide negotiation in SCSI-Select.  The other
>isn't effected by doing this or anything else I tried.
>
>Here is a summary of the kernels I made and tried out:

Excelent.

 I believe I have the fix for your "not booting" problem.  Please try to
remove the block of code in sys/pci/ai7870.c that begins with the comment:

        /*
         * Ensure that we are using good values for the PCI burst size
         * and latency timer.
         */

Even if it doesn't fix your problem, it should be removed.  I'm still
looking through later revisions of the driver to find the second problem.

Thanks again!

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations